7.02.2012

The Slug

Yesterday it rained.  Yes, even in the "summer" in Portland, it rains.  A lot.  In fact, I've been told by many people that summer in Portland doesn't start until after the 4th of July.  So apparently I have a heat wave to look forward to starting on the 5th.  And by "heat wave" I mean it will sometimes be above 80.  Oy.

Anyhow, the rain brings many beautiful things for the Pac NW, including, but not limited to, green everywhere, moss everywhere, abundant flowers and gardens that grow well (without added irrigation!).


However, it also brings an something I've come to loathe.


See those holes in the lettuce?  Dead giveaway.

The slug.

Don't worry, I'll spare you a picture of one of these nasty creatures.  Instead I'll share a picture of one of the Koi that I have the pleasure of feeding.  Much prettier, yes?


Yes.  Each evening around 5:00 I gather the fish food, stand on the edge of the pond and toss in a couple of handfuls.  Then I stand back and smile as I enjoy the peacefulness of watching them glide around and eat their meal.  Last night was no different.  I grabbed the food, opened the sliding glass door (leading to the pond) and noticed that the deck was still wet from rain.  Rather than grab my shoes though, I decided to walk on the wet porch barefoot.  I don't like shoes and don't mind the feeling of rain on my feet.  So I tiptoed across the porch, threw in a few handfuls of food and watched the fish come to the surface.  I smiled, stepped back, and that's when IT happened.

My right bare foot stepped back and made contact with the porch.

My left bare foot stepped back and
made
contact
with
the
SLUG.

Of course, I didn't know I had made contact until my left foot shot out from underneath me like a rocket.  I'm not sure why the cartoons all make banana peels out to be the slipperiest subject you can place under someone's foot, because my friends, the slug beats it.  Hands down.

I learned a very valuable lesson last night.  Although I hate shoes, I hate slugs even more.  And while I promised myself that I would never ever wear a pair of these shoes, they beat having slug slime between my toes. 






No comments:

Post a Comment