10.31.2012

30 Day Posting Challenge | Day 13 - My Opinion About My Body and How Comfortable I am With It

I love my body.  With it I've accomplished some amazing things.  I've survived a condition that put me on steroids and chemo for over 2 years, completed a century bike ride, completed a marathon (and multiple halves) and hiked the Grand Canyon.  I'm blessed with two working legs, two fully functional arms, all 20 fingers and toes and healthy organs.

Photobucket


But let's be honest, I've taken this body for granted.  I've overfed it on sweets, carbs and yummy coffee drinks.  I've allowed it to get lazy, and not pushed it to it's full potential.  I'm fairly comfortable in my own skin, but that's only because I've acquiesced, choosing to not hold myself to the healthy standard I really wish to attain.

2 years ago I completed my first marathon and proved to myself that I could do it.  I had thrown a gigantic goal out in front of me and charged through it.  I had proven to myself that with perseverance I could accomplish anything.  But that's where it stopped.  I've ridden high on that single event for 2 years, and I'm over it.  I'm ready to stop saying, "when I completed my marathon" and begin saying, "yep, I'm a runner."  I'm working on it.  I have a good support system in place, and a group of friends who are running alongside me.

I made a conscious decision when I moved to Portland to build intentional relationships.  Friends who lift me up, support me, challenge me and share common ideals.  I'm happy to say that's exactly what's happening.  I've made some amazing friends here already, and am giddy with delight when I think about all that's possible with good people surrounding and supporting me.

How do YOU feel about YOUR body?
Want to join the 30 Day Challenge?  See the list here!

12 comments:

  1. chills, this gives me chills! I love your positive attitude, that is a HUGE aspect of healthy.

    I used to be a race runner - it has been years, as I recover from two injuries... and I still call myself a runner :) I would love to join the Portland runners, hopefully soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should join!!! A group of us do walk/run intervals. It's VERY casual and meant for beginners and those getting back into it. I would love to meet you in real life!

      Delete
  2. Good for you. I'm so impressed by the marathon achievement, but I see what you mean--now you can do something else amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, something amazing needs to happen! If I'm not constantly working toward the next big thing I tend to get rather lazy.

      Delete
  3. You are awesome lady and such an inspiration! Running a marathon is no easy task, love that you continue to challenge yourself to do new things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. October was my month to start exercising again, and I will admit I have failed miserably, however reading this post makes me really want to get back into healthier living. Bravo to you for being so self aware and continuing to push yourself, wish I had that same type of mindfulness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leah you should really join us for a run! It's very doable for all levels of runners and a lot of fun socializing occurs too!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I agree with Bee, you should join us sometime! It's no pressure and all about just moving and chatting! We'd love for you to join us!

      Delete
  5. Macey I <3 you! You have accomplished so much and I cannot tell you how much this mutual support run thing has helped me the last few weeks! I look forward to keeping us both on track with our running goals ;) continue being an awesome effervescent person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, I <3 you too!!! I'm soooooo glad that we all run together!! I look forward to Saturday mornings with my girls!

      Delete
  6. I feel so happy when I read this. You have such a healthy outlook which so many people lack. I love your brain and the way that it works! (is that creepy or what!?) Had so much fun with you today and am very thankful for you!

    ReplyDelete