10.23.2012

30 Day Posting Challenge | Day 6 - My Views on Mainstream Music

Pardon me while I go all 'hipster' for a moment...


Mainstream music has it's place.  It really does.  I completely understand why musicians dream of making it big and to the radio.  After all, that's where the money is.  That's were recognition and a following happens.  I get it. 

I have some friends who work in the music industry, and a few of them are even DJ's with a rather large following themselves.  So I'm going to politely ask them to turn away from the computer for a moment while I tell the rest of you this...

I HATE THE RADIO.

I hate the commercials, the song interruptions with someone talking over the intro, the remixes, the over play, etc.  Every so often I'll turn it on in my car and I'm immediately reminded why I dislike it.  I would much rather listen to Pandora, my own CDs, or a mix on my iPod any day.

Some of my favorite artists are ruined by going mainstream.  Adele?  I LOVED her a few years ago.  Right after her freshman album was released I caught one of her songs on Pandora, loved her sound and bought it.  I enjoyed her for close to a year before she caught fire with her second album.  I was able to enjoy it for about a week before she was EVERYWHERE and I couldn't take it anymore.  I like to pick my music to create an atmosphere and when Adele is pumping over the speakers at my gym, coffee shop, book store and the mall, well the atmosphere is out the window.

I also love to find out about music organically.  The other day I was in a coffee shop in Portland and had the best conversation with the cute barista!  He was humming a Mumford and Sons song and I told him I loved their new album.  Next thing I know 20 minutes had passed and we both had a list of 10 or more new artists to try out. 

Ok, I'm going to get off my soapbox now, but I'll leave you with a list of my favorite artists at the moment.  Give these guys a listen, but try and find the songs that aren't played on the radio.  I find that the lesser known ones are often the best!

Amos Lee - Bottom of the Barrel and Arms of a Woman are my favorite!
Mumford & Sons - The Boxer is amazing!!! (and I know it's a remake of Paul Simone's song, but it's seriously beautiful)
The Lumineers - Classy Girls is my current favorite.
Florance T and the Machine - ironically the one that everyone knows, Heavy, is my current favorite
Civil Twilight - the entire first album is golden (the second one is good too)
The Civil Wars
Avett Brothers
Regina Spektor 

I'd like to also add that I don't hate popular or mainstream music all the time.  I mean there is nothing better to run or workout to than a little Katy Perry and Lady Gaga.  Also, I love me some David Cook and Glee, so, you know, I'm not hipster all the time.  ;)



How do YOU feel about mainstream music?
Who are your favorite artists currently?
Want to join the 30 Day Challenge?  See the list here!



6 comments:

  1. I totally know what you mean about the radio... there've been a lot of catchy songs over the years that have gone sour for me after being overplayed. And it's really annoying how they play the SAME songs all the time, so if you're on a long drive, or have it on while working, you hear the same song a couple times an hour!

    I totally concur with your short list of current fave music. I really like all the "alternative" artists out these days--getting to be better quality music than 5 years ago when they were cool just cause they were different. I loooove Florence and the Machine. And thanks for the link to the Simon and Garfunkel cover, cool!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the overplay is the worst. I like to listen to my songs on repeat, but that's when I'm in control and actually want to hear it, instead of someone else deciding for me! lol.

      Isn't that cover amazing? I LOVE it!

      Delete
  2. Hahah. This from a former diehard N*SYNC fan ;).. I know, I know that was many years and personalities ago ;).

    I agree, nothing ruins a song like being overplayed. In college I LOVED John Mayer (not that I dislike him now), I loved him so much that I just bought every CD when it came out and then listened via CD converted to mp3.. I almost never listened to the radio. Friends would come in and hear a song playing and complain that they were so over it.. I didn't even realize that it was a single or that it had ever hit the radio waves.. I'm still surprised sometimes when I hear a song that used to think was my own secret favorite.. only to find out that apparently every one has been hearing it.. and only it.. on the radio non-stop. Basically.. radio ruins good music ;)

    I can't pick favorites.. so I can't give you a list ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh yes, N*SYNC will forever have a special place in my heart ;)

      I love me some John Mayer too. Have you heard his newest album that was just released a few months ago? Pretty good :)

      Delete
  3. I don't really every listen to the radio, too much talk, too many commercials, not enough music I like - so I don't really know when my favorites go mainstream... not sure if I'd mind that though? I suppose if they're overplayed, which yeah - everything good is (and a lot that isn't!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What kind of music do you like Kristina? I always love finding new stuff to listen to :)

      Delete