9.24.2012

Turn 30... Hike To Punchbowl Falls


This weekend I hiked out to Punchbowl Falls with my friend Heather in celebration of my birthday.  (Not that I really need a reason to hike to the Falls, but declaring it a "birthday celebration" makes it that much more exciting!)

It was a lovely day for a hike with blue skies, bright sun and a crisp fall chill in the air.  The hike was a relatively easy 1.5 mile out-and-back with very little elevation gain, and beautiful views all around.  During most of the hike the path is skinny with few places to pass people and a pretty steep drop off on one side.  But they've secured cable to other side, so if you have bouts of vertigo, there's something to hold onto which is great!  I, thankfully, didn't need the cable, but we saw many who did.  I imagine in the spring when the path is wet with spring runoff, the cable would come in handy for those slippery moments.

Once you reach the rock bed where Punchbowl Falls feeds into Eagle Creek there's lots of beautiful nature to check out!  There's boulders for climbing on, cliffs covered in moss and fungus (neon green fungus that's awesome!) and HUGE trees crying for hugs.

Visitors have left their mark with stacks of rock, and it's really neat to see them poking up across the river bed.  I much prefer this reminder of visitors past to the crude markings on trees and rocks with paint or marker. 


All-in-all it was a beautiful day, beautiful time spent in nature and was filled with good conversation with a good friend.  In my book, this counts as the perfect way to celebrate a milestone birthday!

12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful way to spend your birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to spend your birthday. I love the photo of the stacked rocks. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yay! I've been looking forward to seeing these since your last post about them. Gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like my perfect way to spend a birthday; however, I'd have to hike pretty far to reach mountains! :/ Great memories, I'm sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Punchbowl falls! Looks like a perfect day indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool. Great way to spend the day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to spend your birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you loved your hike! It's such a great trail! Sounds like you got much further than the high bridge though because I think we only did 8-9 miles...15 nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, happy birthday! This post reminds me of being in high school when I went camping a lot. I remember learning those signals using rocks and sticks when I was in Girl Scouts. Time out in nature makes for good memories, especially where nature is that beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that looks like so much fun!! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday and what a great way to CELEBRATE it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday. That is a beautiful place to celebrate your special day.

    ReplyDelete