7.29.2013

Perseverance | The Long and Short of It

If you're my friend on social media (or in real life!) you've probably gathered that The Guy and I are no longer together.  I'm not going to focus this post on our breaking up, but I feel I owe it to myself to write down a few of the things I'm feeling.  This has spurred a large growth opportunity for me, and I want to remember why.

So in bulleted form, here's where my mind and heart have been focused the past few weeks:
  • I truly believed that he and I were together for the long haul.  And even more naively I believed that he felt the same.
  • I focus on the "frills," "fluff," and "good" in life.  Reality hits me hard.
  • There's something in me that doesn't believe I deserve a loving and fulfilled relationship.  I can finally admit to myself that I seek out partnerships that are unbalanced and unhealthy, and I'm sick of it.  I've started counseling to work through this.
  • My pattern is to focus outward and take care of others, especially when something goes "wrong." In the past I would change jobs, move, or seek a rebound relationship to focus on.  This time I am forcing myself to sit in it.  Learn from it.  And forgive myself.
  • I've decided the healthiest thing I can do in all of this is focus on me, and what I need.  I joined Team in Training and began training for the Portland Half Marathon.  I'm walking and running more, starting to work with a nutrition counselor, and strength training at least twice a week.  I'm already down 8lbs.  This is going to be good.
  • I've also realized that I have the best girl friends a person could hope for.  Each and every one has been there for me and their individual strengths and love for me have shone through.  I am eternally grateful for them all, and so very blessed.

So there you have it.  
The past few weeks have housed the most difficult, emotional and painful days I have experienced, ever.  At the beginning I couldn't imagine my life without communication with my best friend and his two amazing children, but over time I've realized that I'm stronger than that.  I am a whole and complete person, and I will persevere through the shit.

___________________________________________________________________________

Now on to the positive stuff!  I had an amazing weekend!

Friday I met up with the lovely Miss Heather at Le Happy.  Le Happy is a cute little hole in the wall creperie that quickly became our favorite when I moved here a year ago.  Whenever we need to girl talk, celebrate, or console, Le Happy is our place.  We had lovely discussions, and while sitting outside with the perfect breeze blowing, a glass of wine in my hand and smile on my face... I remembered just how blessed I am.

 photo 7565be7ef65811e28a7822000a9e08ae_7_zpscc4a37c1.jpg


Saturday was wonderful as well!  It began with meeting my new TEAM and getting 4 miles in on the training log.  My new coach, Sue, has the most contagious energy and it was wonderful to chat with her and get to know her passion for the mission!  She insisted on taking pictures of me with my new TEAMmates along the course, so the following images are courtesy of her:


 photo 999072_10151739361449509_45717745_n_zpsc6151c9b.jpg
 photo 1001679_10151739380384509_1274585675_n_zps4a179204.jpg
 photo 1002543_10151739370284509_1969086554_n_zps5d92f9d7.jpg
 photo 971172_10151739377789509_1407578196_n_zps452ace7b.jpg

*As a side note, it's not often that I have photos of myself since I'm usually the one behind the camera, but I noticed a difference in my body and face in all of these.  I still have a ways to go, but I'm genuinely happy with my progress!

The rest of Saturday was filled with chats with my friends Bee (The Spicy Bee) and Kayla (Fit Life Forward).  We started out at Grand Central Bakery in Multnomah Village and chatted over coffee and yummies, after a few hours we moved on to Ikea and got lost in inspiration and the excitement of new home decor.  During this healing process I've decided to make over my apartment.  I met The Guy the day I received my keys, and he's been the only one who's spent any real time here, so everything in it holds a memory of him.  Going to Ikea was the perfect motivation for fresh memories and decor.  I've started with new bedding, a few picture frames, and a Dragon Tree named Drake.


 photo aa2c8e30f73e11e2b68a22000a1f9af0_7_zps32c6ce25.jpg

The red and white striped is something I wouldn't normally choose, and therefore it's perfect!  I have big plans for the front room too, so stay tuned on those changes!


 photo 969573_866398114594_105647962_n_zps795c3a29.jpg


Sunday was spent with all my blogging friends at the Portland Blogger Family Picnic.  It was a great turnout with sunshine, blue skies, and lots of yummy picnic foods.  I always love when we all get together, especially when families (aka adorable babies) are included.  I was the event photographer, so be on the lookout for lots of fun photos on my studio blog soon!


How was your weekend?  Any exciting news to share?

9 comments:

  1. cheers to creating a healthier you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for taking this time to focus on yourself! I can relate to what you wrote re: where your heart and mind have been the past few weeks. I'm at a similar point in my life.

    Also- Le Happy- how can you not be happy eating there with a friend? I love that place!

    It was great finally meeting you in person yesterday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all of this.

    "My pattern is to focus outward and take care of others, especially when something goes "wrong." In the past I would change jobs, move, or seek a rebound relationship to focus on. This time I am forcing myself to sit in it. Learn from it. And forgive myself."

    SO powerful and an important lesson to learn. You gotta sit in the shit to get over it. Love you girly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. The good and the bad. I love it all. I love how you talk about it, how you write about it, sit back, read it all over again, size it up, let it marinate, let what hurts, hurt...let what is good make you smile, even if it's cautiously.
    You are loved, Macey. Dearly and regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's awesome to see your perspective and positive energy after such a tough breakup. I wasn't sure what had happened seeing your social media updates but was a little worried. I'm so sorry for you but you are doing an incredible job of your blog title--you are persevering wonderfully! I wish you the best!!!!

    I love that striped duvet cover. Just saw it in a shoot on Apartment Therapy or something last week and pinned the photo! Redecorating is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the happy stuff - LOVE your new room look - and love that when I read creperie I saw craperie.... hahahaa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was great seeing you at the picnic, and I wanted to cheer you on in your dedication to yourself, be it logging quality time with friends, your new team, and redecorating explorations and inspirations. As you said, you can persevere through this shit, and you can control filling your time with positive. Wishing you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Macey, I'm sorry you had to go through a heart brake, girl. It's never easy. It sounds like through this trial though you are going to become an even more amazing person- you'll come out on the other side stronger and happier. Cheers to a fresh start, go get em' girl.

    ReplyDelete