7.31.2013

Watch Your Back Cancer!

I made a comment on my post the other day that I had signed up with Team in Training again - this time to complete the Portland half marathon in October.

If you're not sure exactly what Team in Training is, allow me to let you in on the best organization ever... TEAM is a nonprofit organization that coaches endurance athletes for an event (marathon, half marathon, century bike ride, triathlon, etc) in exchange for fundraising for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  I ran my first full marathon with them in October 2010 (recap post here) and fell in love with the people and the mission.  I'm beyond excited to be a part of the TEAM again, and would love to have your support!

 photo 533643_866237182104_2124255191_n_zpsaae9d568.jpg


My goal is to raise $1250 for the LLS by my birthday (September 18th).  If you have $5, $25, or even $500 lying around just waiting to be put to good use, please consider putting it toward saving lives....

DONATE HERE



I'd like to share with you a story I posted about back in February 2011.  It's the story of my introduction to Bailey, the sweetest little 2 year old you've ever met, and just one of the many people I run in honor of...

I just had my head shots taken for Eagle Magazine (I'm a writer on their publications team) by a young man I had never met before.  While setting up for my session, I noticed his shoes.  They were the same shoes I wore to train for, and eventually complete, my marathon in October.  I pointed this out.  Here's how the conversation went:

Me: "Hey, I have those same shoes!"
Him: "Yeah?  Don't you love them?"
Me: "Yes!  I ran my first marathon in them in October.  So know that they will hold up for you."
Him: "Wait, are you the staffer that wrote the story about the man who runs to raise money for people with cancer?"
Me: "YES!  That's the group I trained and ran with!  We train for endurance events in exchange for raising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Have you heard of them?"
Him: "No.  But my daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia in October."

SLAM

Me: "Oh, I am so sorry to hear that!  How old is your daughter?"
Him: "2."

DOUBLE SLAM

Stories like this are all too common.  It breaks my heart to hear that his daughter is living her life in a hospital, hooked to machines and receiving medication that causes so much good, but so much damage in her little body.  I hurt for his family, having to be strong, but having to deal with the unknown- what does this mean for her future, what does this mean for her family?  I can't help but focus on the fact that she is the same age as my niece.  Her father shared with me her blog that her mom is keeping as a journal.  I visited it after he left, and sat with tears at my desk.


She instantly reminded me of my niece.  How would I handle getting the news that my niece, this little bundle of love that I treasure so much, is sick?  I pray that I never have to know.  I pray that no other parent, aunt, grandparent, cousin, brother, sister, friend or otherwise will ever have to hear that someone they love is sick.  I'm tired of it.  I'm ready for the world to be rid of cancer.



This is why I train.  I feel like I have to do something... anything.  I feel like by raising this money, and staying focused on the task at hand, I can somehow make a small difference.  And with the thousands of people across the nation who are making this same small difference, it adds up to one BIG difference.   

Together we can help.  Together we can make a difference.  Together we can save lives.

Would you like to make a difference with me?  Please...

DONATE HERE

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Macey for your commitment to such a wonderful organization!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me tear up- I cannot even fathom how I would handle if this happened to one of my nephews. Good job for doing this!

    ReplyDelete