11.09.2012

30 Day Posting Challenge | Day 17 - Something I'm Proud Of


I hemmed and hawed for a good long time about moving to Portland.  I knew that I wanted out of small town Idaho and to experience something new and exciting.  I knew that I wanted to pursue art and creativity and individualism in a city where all that is celebrated.  I knew I wanted to get lost on purpose, as often as possible, and discover new joys while finding my way back to familiar territory.  I knew all that, yet I was denying myself the opportunity.

On May 1st, 2012 I packed up my car and drove away.  I didn't have a job lined up, and my grandma's floor was going to be my home until I could arrange something more permanent, but I didn't care.  I was finally moving on with my life and embracing a life of design rather than default.

I have grown in many ways over the past 6 months, and most in ways I didn't expect, but all in ways I choose to embrace.  These past 6 months I have felt more at peace, more humbled and more centered than I have experienced in the prior 30 years of my life.  Portland isn't the reason for this growth, it just happens to be a catalyst for change.  
I'm the reason.  

I chose to let go of the control I thought I had over my life.  I chose to move to a new place and open myself to whatever opportunity and experience comes my way. 
I chose to live.  

And of this, I am quite proud. 

What is something YOU are proud of?
Want to join the 30 Day Challenge?  See the list here!

12 comments:

  1. beautiful post! I'm so glad you are here and can feel how strong and centered you are through this post. You are right to be so proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Marlynn! I'm in love with this city and all the opportunities here :)

      Delete
  2. GEEZ, reading this honestly gave me chills, it is SO fantastic! I'm proud of ya and I barely know ya!

    Portland is awesome, isn't it...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, you're so sweet! Portland is so so awesome, yes! I'm seriously in love with this city.

      Delete
  3. You picked a great place to move. LOVE PDX. No other place like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so great, Macey. It's so cool to see the way life changes when we follow through with things we know we have to do. Plus, I'm glad you moved here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susannah! It's amazing what can happen when you allow God to sit in the drivers seat ;)

      Delete
  5. I agree with Susannah! It's brave that you decided to take such a risk and look how far you've come already!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you're one to talk lady! So glad mutual moves brought us into each others lives! Yay for new friends!

      Delete
  6. This is such a great post Macey! I am so happy that you took that leap and it's turning out so great for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "a life of design rather than default" <-- I love that! Beautiful post, Macey, and you are way braver than me, LOL, so glad you wound up in PDX :)

    ReplyDelete