1.03.2013

My 2012 | A Year in Review

2012 was a tough year.  I'm just going to start with that.  A lot of good things happened in 2012, -- I encountered new opportunities, made new friends, discovered new hobbies and made the biggest move of my life -- but all-in-all it was a tough year, a year full of transition and change.

If I were a surfer (which I so am not) 2012 could be described as a year of holding on tightly to my board and riding the waves; gripping the sides with my fingers and praying that I don't fall off into shark infested waters.  For the past few months I've felt a little more confident about standing on the board and trying to own a wave or two, but looking forward toward 2013, I feel 100% positive that I will hang ten more than once.  (Ok, ok I know that's a horrible paragraph filled with ridiculous metaphors, but just go with me here.)

I'll be positing later about the many things I intend to both experience and accomplish in 2013, but for now I'd like to recap 2012 and all waves I rode... 

January



Photobucket

I quit my job and began splitting my time between Boise and Northern California.  I spent a lot of time stressing about where my photography business was going and trying to pay my bills with any income I could get my hands on with freelance work.  While in California I was focused on helping my aunt through her chemo treatments and thoroughly enjoying the time we were blessed with to grow closer.  While in Boise I was focused on finding work to pay my bills and thankful for a place to lay my head at night in my little brother's house.

February


Still splitting my time between Idaho and Cali.  Had quite a few photoshoots, including these ones:

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

March

Photobucket



Lots of introspection was happening in March.  I was still splitting my time between states, but knew that my aunt's chemo treatments were coming to an end (thankfully!) and it would be time for me to look for another full time job.  I didn't want to look for a job in Boise again, and the idea of signing another lease and being "stuck" there was giving me anxiety attacks.  I started praying about where I wanted to go and how it was going to be possible.

April


Photobucket

After a trip to Palm Springs with my aunt we celebrated her upcoming final chemo treatment and I made the decision that I would be moving to Portland May 1st!  It was bittersweet knowing that my time with her was coming to an end.  I was loving the time we had to connect and chat and get to know one another, but I also felt like I had been putting my life on hold, and I was ready to start it back up again.  Making plans for Portland was the most exciting and scary time in 2012.

May


Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

I did it!  I packed up what would fit in my car and drove 9 hours to my new "home."  I moved onto my Grandma's floor for a couple of weeks, and then into the spare bedroom at my aunt's house for a month.  Moving to Portland was the bravest leap of faith I've ever taken.  I didn't have a job lined up, and would be couch surfing until everything else fell into place, but I was happy.  So very happy and proud of myself.  I seized the opportunity to reconnect with family. visit the coast and explore my new home.

June

Photobucket
Photobucket

I started working in June FINALLY.  I had stumbled across an amazing opportunity in a nanny/house manager position and scooped it up.  I continued living with my aunt during June while I saved up for an apartment closer to where I was working.  I loved the opportunity to reconnect with my cousins and their families during this time.

July


Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

July was a big month for me!  I signed the lease on my new apartment and finally had an official PDX address!!  I moved in and starting making it home.  I also traveled back to Idaho for my little brother's wedding reception (they had been married back in March while I was in California) and enjoyed seeing everyone again.

August


Photobucket

Ahh sweet, sweet summer!  August was a month filled with adventure in the sunshine.  I tripped to the coast, enjoyed bike rides, explored PDX and spent many hours with new friends.  Remembering August makes me excited for next summer and many more sunny adventures.

September



Photobucket

In September I turned 30... and subsequently freaked out.  I wasn't expecting 30 to hit me hard, but hit me it did.  I quickly bounced back, but not without a plan of attack.  I made a list of the things I wanted to experience during my 30th year and I'm having fun accomplishing my "to-do" items.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I also made a few trip to my 'happy place' during September and enjoyed the coast thoroughly.

October


Photobucket
Photobucket

October brought the colder air, fall colors, blogger events and Halloween.  I finally started to feel like I was falling into a routine and Portland was really my home.

November



Photobucket

November found me back in California visiting my aunt and uncle for Thanksgiving.  The sunshine, palm trees and puppy cuddles did a world of good for my soul.

December



Photobucket

Lots of time with family and friends for the holidays!  Doesn't get much better than that.


Well, that's my 2012 in a nutshell.  All-in-all a good year I'd say, with a few rough spots.  Lots of growth happened, and I'm excited to take off in 2013 with the foundation that's been built.

Here's to a great new year!!

2 comments:

  1. Love this post! I love being able to see bits and pieces of your year through the photos! Can't wait to help you create more awesome memories in 2013! Here's to a fantastic year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm so glad you're in Portland, Macey. It's been so wonderful to get to know you!

    ReplyDelete