1.30.2013

Perseverance, Realizations and New Tricks

Today I made two rather large realizations about myself.  I wasn't expecting either, but both were welcomed with opened arms.

The first came during my morning Body Pump class.  I was lying on my back, arms burning with each bench press, chest tight and flexed, when I suddenly remembered a similar scene a few years ago.  I was lying on my back and poised to push the weighted bar into the air... but I couldn't.  My muscles had deteriorated too far to lift just the bar... a measly 7 pounds.  Having been able to {easily} bench press 75lbs the summer before, it was then that I realized something was seriously wrong with my body (something I had been in denial about for a long time) and made an appointment with the doctor.  Less than a month later I was diagnosed (you can read a little about that here).

Remembering this moment was huge for me.  It wasn't too long ago that I had a doctor telling me there was real potential I would someday be in a wheelchair due to deteriorating muscles.  Knowing that since that conversation I have completed a marathon, hiked the Grand Canyon, completed a century bike ride, and am now back to lifting weights... well, it just reminds me that with the right mind set and mental fortitude, anything is possible.  It also reminded me to be thankful for how far I've come and to stop focusing on how far I have left to go.

I will get there.
I'm proving it each and every day.

The second realization was made while driving back from the gym.  I was riding with my friend Ryan who drives a vehicle with a manual transmission.  He and I are planning a road trip for the end of March and we have decided to take his car.  This means that I have to learn to drive a stick shift. 

Now I grew up on a farm and with brothers who rode motorcycles and 4 wheelers, so the concept of using a clutch is not new to me.  However, driving a vehicle on the road with hundreds of other cars is something altogether different.  So when Ryan casually asked when he was going to teach me to drive his car, I shrugged and said, "I don't know, when are you?"

Little did I know the answer was, "now."

That's when I realized that I'm not comfortable learning new things in front of others.  I love to learn new things, but I want to learn them in private and then have someone give tips for how to improve later on.

This is silly.
This is ego.

It was difficult for me to accept the lesson on the spot.  No time to prepare, no time to think it through, no time to come up with excuses for anything.  But I pushed my comfort aside and graciously got behind the driver's wheel and allowed him to teach me.

And you know what?  It's not that hard!  I don't know what I was so afraid of!  With Ryan's patient and calming presence I was feeling comfortable with the process in no time.  I don't know how many opportunities I've let myself pass by because I wasn't comfortable being vulnerable.

Today reminded me that when I operate from my center and let the ego fall away, good things will always happen.

Photobucket
Pretty happy to be able to drive a stick now!

5 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean - I plan so much out that sometimes it is hard to just take something when it comes right then! I've tried to get used to saying - ok - why not now!? :) Lots to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, congratulations!! I drove a stick a few times when I was first learning to drive, and they definitely intimidate me. I'm impressed! And I agree that letting your guard down is hard! It's tough to put down a got-it-all-together exterior and admit weaknesses. I have a hard time doing that even with my husband sometimes. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on learning to drive a stick! I still haven't done it. No need as of right now. Good work on the weight lifting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even understand the concept of the clutch when I tried. I just kept killing the car. It took me about an hour to understand that there is a "sweet spot" when you let up. It seemed so simple to my parents that they never considered explaining that part to me. I definitely cried on my first day trying to figure out the stick. I was in college and needed to figure out how to drive the car quickly. Once I understood it though, it was so easy and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, these realizations are awesome! It's wonderful to know your failures and the way you're growing. Thanks for sharing, dear!

    ReplyDelete