4.25.2013

Spring Awakening

I was looking forward to Spring.
Looking forward to some down time, some "me time," spent in the lovely weather outdoors.  Lots of bike rides, lots of hiking, lots of running, etc.

But the Universe had something all together different planned for me.
And you know what?
It's ok.

I'm a firm believer in everything happening just exactly as it should.  And I believe that all the testing this Spring has brought me is only going to make me stronger in the long run.  It's as my girl Kelly says, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
*fist pump*

Part of that testing was in the form of a new opportunity.  I'd been toying with the idea of moving on from my nanny position for a few different reasons -- the main 2 being the fact that I needed medical benefits, and I was also reaching my 1 year anniversary of being in Portland (which means my 1 year anniversary of being out of the corporate loop).

Loooooooooooooooong story, so here's the bulleted timeline:
  • Job offer comes through (full benefits, flexible hours, full time marketing position, perks, etc.)
  • I quit my current job.
  • My employer doesn't accept that and asks what it will take for me to consider staying.
  • I am shocked.
  • I don't know how to answer.
  • I'm offered full medical, dental, vision benefits (at no additional cost to me)
  • I'm able to voice a few of the concerns I have with staying.
  • My concerns are met with open communication.
  • I feel better about my concerns.
  • The Kid finds out I may be leaving.
  • The Kid is sad.
  • Again I am surprised, but delightfully so. (They like me, they really like me.)
  • I think looooooooooong and hard about my decision.
  • I write a GIGANTIC pros and cons list.
  • I talk to all the people in my life I love and trust with this kind of decision.
  • I make a decision.
  • I decide to stay. 
So there you have it.  That's a recap of 3 grueling days for me.  And you know what?  Things couldn't have worked out better.  I feel good about my decision, my boss feels good about my decision, and The Kid is over the moon about my decision.  Things have been great at work, and I have a renewed energy about my job.

Yesterday The Kid had a rare light load of homework and decided to skip his lacrosse practice in order to just "chill" at home.  Normally I'm not very keen on him skipping out on his commitments, but staying at the house yesterday just felt right.  He normally doesn't allow (or like) me to take photos of him, but yesterday was different all around.  He had freedom, the sun was shining, and he suggested I take a few photos to share with his mom.  I, of course, was all too happy to oblige.


 photo _MG_8485_zps45bacd22.jpg
 photo _MG_8489_zps4be0888a.jpg
 photo _MG_8491_zps23d7b2f6.jpg
 photo _MG_8494_zps52653b44.jpg
 photo _MG_8496_zpsf9129a91.jpg
 photo _MG_8500_zps7b1edcd4.jpg
 photo _MG_8498_zps4f135ec0.jpg
 photo _MG_8508_zps21b1543f.jpg
 photo _MG_8603_zpsd1a30691.jpg

4 comments:

  1. So much love for this post. What an obvious blessing you are to that family. As a mom, I can only imagine what a treasure your photos are to your client. And I am thrilled that you are at such a good place in your employment. What a lifted burden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Macey, this post gave me chills, you are in The Kid's life for a reason and that reason isn't finished yet! I'm so glad this worked out in such a way that you were able to stay but get what you need - health benefits may feel useless sometimes but they're necessary! So happy and excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last two are so precious! Great pics! So happy that you get to be there for the Kid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad that you came to a decision you're happy with! now try and enjoy some funshine this weekend, stress free :)

    ReplyDelete