5.02.2013

Top 5 Memories of My First Year in Portland

Meeting Ryan - July 5th, 2012

There's no link to a post about meeting Ryan. I can't believe I didn't blog about this!  (Actually, what probably happened is that I blogged about it, and then worried that I would jinx it by getting so excited about it, so I deleted that post.  I'm a bad blogger sometimes).

Oh well, I can remember it like it was yesterday anyway ;)

My cousin Leeah had invited me to join her at the Ben Harper concert at Edgefield in Troutdale.  Ryan (who I had met online) had asked me to a beer for that same evening.  I accepted both 'dates' forgetting that they were for the same Thursday.  I panicked when I'd discovered my mistake and told Ryan that we would either need to reschedule, or he was welcome to get a ticket and join us.  He grabbed a ticket online and joined us!

I remember being so impressed that he was spontaneous, and was excited to meet him.  We spent the concert chatting about hiking, photography and our shared love for Amos Lee.  We were the last ones to leave the concert (actually asked by the security guy to get out because they needed to clean up) and headed to Vancouver for drinks and more chatting.  An amazing friendship grew out of that evening, and I can't believe I haven't known him forever.

Although I didn't blog about the evening, my cousin did snap a picture of the three of us.  It was sooooo awkward at the time, but I'm so thankful she insisted.   I'd known Ryan for about an hour when this photo was taken.

 photo -2-1_zpsdf5d14c1.jpg

My Apartment - July 2012

I found my apartment on Craigslist.  It was only 3 miles from the house where I was going to be working, and the most affordable choice I had stumbled upon.  I visited, fell in love, and filled out an application.  I was told I was 7th in line and resigned myself to believing I wasn't going to get it.  36 hours later I received a phone call saying everyone else had poor rental history and the apartment was mine!

Shocked and blessed.  Yup.

 photo IMG_2320_zpsf7aa09e0.jpg

Vacation in Boise - August 2012


Having lived in Boise for 7 years, I really thought I knew the town well.  Visiting it as a 'tourist' opened my eyes to Boise in a whole new way.  I thoroughly enjoyed my Boise vacation, and strangely it solidified that moving to Portland was the right decision for me.  I came home to PDX finally feeling like life had begun for me.

But don't get me wrong, I miss this munchkin (and the rest of my family) very much.

 photo 387086_735955622394_486309788_n_zps95a6835a.jpg

Turning 30 - September 18, 2012


30 is a birthday I have looked forward to since I was a teenager.  It wasn't necessarily everything I thought it would be, but it was still pretty darn great.  I enjoyed time in the Tri Cities with family, hikes with friends, and beach time all as celebrations.

 photo -3-1_zpsedc471c3.jpg

Finding the Goonies

Perhaps my favorite memory of all my first year in Portland is running away to the coast with Ryan.  We were both frustrated and stressed for various reasons and just needed to get away and clear our heads.  We decided to visit Astoria and search for the Goonies house.  It was a fun weekend in the sun, we saw many interesting sites, but best of all, it was the first time he held my hand and kissed me.  We were officially "something."  And I was officially over the moon.

 photo 86bfc230641f11e2800122000a1fbf61_7-1_zps30bbc5db.jpg
 

I can't wait to see all the wonderful things I will experience my next year in Portland!

2 comments:

  1. That was a lovely glimpse into the happiness in your life. I didn't previously know that you were new in town. A belated welcome and congratulations on everything you have found here so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on an awesome first year in my favorite city! ps. can i share in your love for amos lee?! he is so good live!!!!

    ReplyDelete